Comprised of Earth and Water Elements
Think of Stability and Adherence. Kapha gives us the lubrication and structure our system needs to stay grounded. An individual with Kapha governance tends to be calm and grounded with a larger body frame and size.
In balance, Kapha individuals are very loyal, deep thinkers, loving and methodical. Imbalanced Kapha can lead to a feeling of slowness, sluggishness, congestion and allergies. Kapha imbalance tends to go into in the sinus areas and is associated with congestion. The key is to understand your doshic composition (aka Prakriti) and your current state of imbalance (aka Vikruti). If you are a Pitta individual (Prakriti) undergoing sinus congestion and headaches, it may be that your Kapha system is imbalanced (Vikruti). Kapha pacifying diet, herbs and oil massages may help balance that state.
How Kapha Are You?
Take the Dosha Quiz to find out how much Kapha imbalance you have!
Receive supplement and dietary suggestions, along with yoga poses that balance the Kapha state.
This state leads to feeling earthy, heavy and moist; with too much Earth element. This state gives you groundedness, structure and stability.
- Favor lukewarm drinks, not COLD drinks. Never drink ICE cold water. Lukewarm or warmer is good. Avoid heavy, oily and cow's based foods as much as possible.
WHY? Because it increases Earth, heavy, state. Keep liquids at least an hour away from eating food so you body focuses on digesting foods. Few sips of lukewarm liquid during a meal is fine, but not more than that!
- Eat your meals at the SAME TIME each day. Never skip a meal.
WHY? Because of your more sluggish-prone digestion, eating regularly with meals that are proportioned (try not to overeat!) is best for you.
- Lunch should be your biggest meal, ideally between 11:30am-1pm
WHY? Kapha digestion is a weaker digestion. During the hours between 10 am-2pm, digestive enzyme and hydrochloric acid release is at the highest, thus you have the greatest opportunity to digest your meals well during this time. Heavier foods such as meats, should be eating during lunch.
- Bedtime should be 10pm (and no later) nightly
WHY? Because 10pm -2 AM is Pitta time, the time of metabolism and detoxification. Foods and thoughts get processed and cleansed during this time. We need to be sleeping during this time so we wake up with a clear mind and body.
- Exercise - Vinyasa flow yoga or hot yoga that encourages you to move and sweat is good for excess Kapha. Running or tennis are also good. Key is to exercise regularly as you need movement to keep your dosha in balance.