Comprised of Fire and Water Elements
Think of SHARPNESS and HEAT. Pitta fuels the body’s metabolism. An individual with Pitta governance tends to be very direct, Type A, organized. These individuals are clear and confident. These individuals have strong digestion and need to eat at regular times to stay in balance. In balance, a Pitta individual is detailed, reliable, a good speaker with a medium build and bone structure. But, if the fire is too high, then imbalance can occur. Imbalanced Pitta can lead to irritability, acid reflux, nausea, diarrhea, skin rashes, hormonal issues, and pain in the eyes/temples.
The key is to understand your doshic composition (aka Prakriti) and your current state of imbalance (aka Vikruti). If you are a Vata type (Prakriti), but start eating hot and spicy foods (fire element), you may pick up some Pitta symptoms (Vikruti).
How Pitta Are You?
Take the Dosha Quiz to find out how much Pitta imbalance you have!
Receive supplement and dietary suggestions, along with yoga poses that balance the Pitta state.
Dietary and Lifestyle Recommendations for PITTA: This state leads to feeling heated and moist; with too much fire. Think of a small fire providing warmth, to a raging fire leading to excess heat and destroying everything in its path...
- Favor lukewarm drinks, not HOT drinks. Never drink ICE cold water. Lukewarm is good. Avoid hot, spicy and fermented foods as much as possible.
WHY? Because it increases heat state.
- Keep liquids at least an hour away from eating food so you body focuses on digesting foods. Few sips of lukewarm liquid during a meal is fine, but not more than that!
- Eat your meals at the SAME TIME each day. Never skip a meal.
WHY? Because it increases heat state, especially if lunch is skipped
- Lunch should be your biggest meal, ideally between 11:30am-1pm
WHY? Pitta digestion is sharp and intense. During the hours between 10 am-2pm, digestive enzyme and hydrochloric acid release is at the highest, thus you have the greatest opportunity to digest your meals well during this time. Heavier foods such as meats, should be eating during lunch. If Pitta type do not have a meal during this time, but instead choose to skip lunch or even worse, exercise, you just increase the fire state leading to symptoms.
- Bedtime should be 10pm (and no later) nightly.
WHY? Because 10pm -2 AM is Pitta time, the time of metabolism and detoxification. Foods and thoughts get processed and cleansed during this time. We need to be sleeping during this time so we wake up with a clear mind and body.
- Exercise - Relaxing Yoga at your pace (not competitive or hot yoga, as this will increase heat), swimming, biking. Please non-competitive, make it fun, enjoyable and relaxing. Learn to laugh and have fun. Life is not that serious!